Guidance on preparing to teach about mental health and emotional wellbeing
Guidance and lessons plans for schools on preparing to teach about mental health and emotional wellbeing.
Key issues are covered, including:
- Why it is important to teach about mental health and emotional wellbeing
- Building teaching about mental health into a planned PSHE programme
- Promoting wellbeing and resilience from an early age
- Ensuring teaching is appropriate to the age and maturity of pupils
- Key principles in teaching about mental health and emotional wellbeing safely and confidently
- Using visitors to the classroom to support lessons
- Addressing challenging mental health issues such as eating disorders, self-harm and suicide
The lesson plans are designed to be used in conjunction with the guidance, with topics including teaching children how to describe emotions, talk about anxiety and worries, and develop coping strategies.