Highland substance awareness toolkit
A comprehensive toolkit of 15 lesson plans, with presentations, for school staff to use when discussing and raising awareness of substance misuse.
This toolkit offers 15 detailed lesson plans along with accompanying PowerPoint presentations covering substance awareness. The topics include drugs, alcohol, tobacco and the potential effects of substance misuse on health, relationships and communities.
Using this resource
This resource is designed for:
- young people aged 11 - 13
- use with whole classes
Scotland – Health and Wellbeing
• Through investigating substance misuse in my local community I can reflect on specific issues, and discuss how they are being addressed.
Third and fourth level:
• I understand the positive effects that some substances can have on the mind and body but I am also aware of the negative and serious physical, mental, emotional, social and legal consequences of the misuse of substances.
• I am developing a range of skills which can support decision making about substance use.
• I can demonstrate strategies for making informed choices to maintain and improve my health and wellbeing and can apply these in situations that may be stressful or challenging, or involve peer pressure.
• I know how to access information and support for substance-related issues.
• After assessing options and the consequences of my decisions, I can identify safe and unsafe behaviours and actions.
• I know that the use of alcohol and drugs can affect behaviour and the decisions that people make about relationships and sexual health.
• I know the action I should take in the management of incidents and emergencies related to substance misuse.
• I understand the impact that ongoing misuse of substances can have on a person’s health, future life choices and options.
For fourth level:
• By researching the impact of substance misuse nationally and internationally I can explain similarities and differences among communities.
• Through investigation, I can explain how images of substance use and misuse can influence people’s behaviour.
• I understand the local, national and international impact of substance misuse.