Self-harm and working in schools
A guide for school and college staff to support themselves and others at risk of self-harm.
While schools and colleges are increasingly aware of the issue of self-harm among students, it’s important to consider that staff may also be affected.
This guide is designed to support school or college staff who feel they or a colleague may be at risk of self-harm.
It includes information on:
- how to recognise self-harm
- how to get help or offer both immediate and long-term support
- how to have safe conversations about self-harm
- how school managers and leaders can address self-harm in their setting.
The resource also provides signposting to further specialist support.
Please note: this resource does not offer guidance on supporting children and young people.
Using this resource
This resource is designed for:
- use by staff in primary, secondary and FE settings